Special OSINT Q&A
This week, we thought we would use the time to answer your questions in this special episode, and as usual, we also discuss the latest news in OSINT!
People in this Episode
- Micah Hoffman (@WebBreacher)
- Matthias Wilson (@mw_Osint)
- Lorand Bodo (@LorandBodo)
- Ritu Gill (@OSINTTechniques)
- John TerBush (@thegumshoo)
Questions We Answered
- Keep your profile public or private, especially when seeking security clearance?
- Is it possible to investigate social media (e.g. Facebook) without logins?
- OPSEC – do you use new phone numbers for different sock puppets or do you recycle them?
- What are some of the most important social media sites when investigating extremists?
- Have you read the entire book (Open Source Intelligence Techniques) and what do you think about it? How do you use it?
Links to what we discussed
- App usage by country: https://www.applyzer.com/?mmenu=worldcharts
- Top sites worldwide: https://www.alexa.com/topsites
- OSINT technique to find Start.me page: https://twitter.com/OSINTtechniques/status/1316937466222465024
- Poll and discussion on Twitter regarding OSINT VMs: https://twitter.com/LockpickingPete/status/1316823205026430977
- Download Windows 8.1 and 10 (90 day trial) VM’s: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/
- Download Windows 7 (90 day trial) VM’s: https://web.archive.org/web/20191226134552/https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/
- Sinwindie’s attack surface for the dark web: https://twitter.com/sinwindie/status/1315082663384899584
- Lifting fingerprints from photos: https://twitter.com/BenDoBrown/status/1317544626425913351
- Lorand Bodo’s new website and blog: https://lorandbodo.com
- How to create an RSS feed for Subreddits: https://twitter.com/LorandBodo/status/1314548615071834112
- Download CONINT presentations here: https://conint.io/2020downloads
- Understanding what time stamps mean on social media: https://twitter.com/firstdraftnews/status/1314007636036259842
- Important update on WeVerify plugin: https://twitter.com/WeVerify/status/1317548452784578561
- Data scraping with Google Sheets: https://tompatrickjarvis.medium.com/data-scraping-with-google-sheets-to-assist-journalism-and-osint-tutorial-4f490d0dd5c4
- Matthias Wilson’s new blog post on pivoting and researching info: https://keyfindings.blog/2020/10/16/where-is-leonardos-car-using-osint-to-trace-vehicles/
- Retrieve info about Google account and activity: https://tools.epieos.com/google-account.php
- Keeping grid on Google IDs by Sector035: https://sector035.nl/articles/keeping-a-grip-on-google-ids
- Recon on Gmail accounts: https://github.com/mxrch/ghunt
- Check if the email is used on other platforms: https://github.com/megadose/holehe
- Comparison of different messaging platforms: https://inteltechniques.com/messaging.html
- John TerBush’s SANS class starting on November 30
- OSINTTechniques.com – lots of updates and new content coming soon!
- Check out Lorand’s new website: https://lorandbodo.com
- Go check out Technisette’s research on https://technisette.com (new blog post on osintcurio.us coming soon + 10 min tip video!)
- Sector035: newsletter is coming tomorrow at 6 am UTC – check out his website too at https://sector035.nl
- Matthias Wilson: nothing specific but do more OSINT stuff while staying at home!
- Micah: There will be a free, 2-day, OSINT virtual conference next year SANS OSINT Summit- please check it out here: https://www.sans.org/event/osint-summit-2021/